I decided to get this arrow garden in-home garden system because I wanted to try it out. But from two different perspectives, one for the average person that’s on the Goa has no time or does not want to mess with garden or soil. And the second one is from a gardener’s perspective.
So let’s go check it out, going on my plan fam I am the ADHD gardener, where he was gardening, houseplants, and humor as a form of mental health therapy. And look what I got, I just got this in-home garden system because frankly, I just wanted to try something different. And I know that this one is primarily for your kitchen counter and this, the beauty of this is what attracted me to it is the fact that this is no soil. I’m always messing with dirt inside of my house. I have dirt everywhere, and it’s nice to have a little area that does not require any soils.
It seems relatively simple to set up
The beautiful thing about it from the perspective of the average person is that you know what? It seems relatively simple to set up if this works out well, that I know that this is going to be good in my kitchen area, where I’m always cooking. So I can have easy, quick access to herbs or any small plant or micro plant that you want to grow here. There’s a button in the back that lowers and raises the lights.
The only bummer about this is that it only goes up to like 12 inches, but at the same time, this is only for your kitchen counter. And this is for something really quick. So I can understand the height, but I’m sure we gardeners know that we can modify this and add to it. But that’s for later, this does come apart. But I’m assuming this is just for easy cleaning and there we go.
Step 1: aerogarden liquid plant food
Now we have, the reservoir is not bad. This is where we’re going to put our water. All right, we’re going to fill this up, and oh man, go not enough water, and let’s get a little more organized here. After you fill that up, we’re going to put this back. Let’s see what’s up with this box. This comes with six of them. Not bad though. Right now the top of this has holes. Now that is where you’re going to sit your dome inside of here. And that is where it’s going to go. The bottom of the seed thing. I dunno what it’s called the thing. Now, the bottom of this is going to be sitting inside of that water. And that is how it’s going to be growing. These already have names of seeds. Now this one’s still curly parsley. Ty Bazell time
Genovese. Bazell, there’s
In aerogarden you have six available whole options
A bunch of basil in here, mint. You don’t have to use them all at the same time and you can space them out if you want to, but you do have six available whole options. So if you want to start more than one time, I guess you could, it doesn’t mean it’s nothing hurting you. However, if you do know the size of how big these plants grow, then you can better understand how many of these pods you want. You know, for example, Bazell tends to get big, pretty fast. So you could just do two pods, one on each side, that’ll give you enough space to grow more, or you can decide to use all six. It doesn’t matter. Now, this comes with liquid plant food. And then when it comes to hydroponics and fertilizer versus fertilizing the measurements are quite different.
Step 2: pay attention to the directions on the back of the bottle of nutrients
This is going to be concentrated. So you have to pay attention to the directions. You can’t just dump. You know, however, you feel like it, you can hurt your plants, that you can burn them and they can die if you are over-fertilized. Yeah. That’s the thing. So you don’t want to do that. So pay attention to the directions on the back of the bottle. That was pretty simple. That was easy. All right, we did that.
Step 3: put your seed pods inside of this aerogarden balloon with the little holes
Now we can put our cap on and you can put your seed pods inside of this balloon with the little holes. Now, this also come, now you’re going to put these caps right on top of them because that’s going to retain the moisture, the humidity, and the heat. So we want that at least just in the beginning when you first started growing your seeds, and then you’re going to drop this down right here, as far as it goes. And now we start, okay, let’s move some plants.
Onboard aerogarden lights
This is what it looks like when you light it up. When you first laid it up, at least I don’t know why this is flashing. Let me know down in the comments below. Do you see this flashing all? Look at that. It’s running water. Let’s look at them. Lights, not bad, not bad, quite bright. I’m feeling It.
Step 4: Seed time/care
The average germination for your seedlings is approximately 7 to 14 days. It all depends on the variety and what you’re growing, but generally, that’s just the average time.
Seven to 14, as your ceiling gets bigger. You no longer going to need this, you know, this dome cap, but don’t throw it away. You can use it for, you know, for another time, either way, I’m going to leave this going for at least 12 to 14 hours per day until I see some germination. And I see some seedlings, I’m going for a long time in the beginning because, in the germination and seedling stage, they require a lot of light.
Lights and the germination and seedling stage.
As the ceiling starts to grow, you’re going to be raising the light. You don’t want the plant leaves touching the light. It can burn or crisp up those leads, but you do want to at least two to three inches above the plant, you know, for optimal conditions. But look at that, not bad. I guess we’ll check back in a few days or whenever
Growing with aerogarden, one month later…
It has been exactly one month to the day where I set up this arrow garden and what are my thoughts on this? Yo, this thing is legit. I love this thing. This arrow garden can come in handy for a few reasons.
- One, if you’re super busy and you can’t find the time to kind of mess with a bunch of plans.
- Number two was that there is no soil involved. And if you have a setup like this requiring no soil, that is a win. I’ll tell you right now.
- Number three was these herbs grow pretty fast. Look how big they grew in just one month.
Pros AeroGarden Black Harvest Indoor Hydroponic Garden
I’m going to go over the pros and cons of this Aerogarden from a Gardener’s perspective. But I’m going to start with the pros.
- Number one is it is so compact and it fits on my kitchen counter, which is good. It does not take up a lot of space at all.
- Second, it comes with the grow light already there. So you don’t have to buy an extra grow light. It’s all set up right there.
- Number three is hydroponics. There is no soil required. And when I was gardeners and house plant people know that having soil around gets dirty and nobody wants to have that, especially on your kitchen counter. So this worked out well.
- Number four, number five, I lost track already, but there were minimal to no pests. I’m thinking that the only reason why I saw fungus gnats here is that I have a fungus net problem inside of my house. It’s not a problem. I just kind of learned to live with fungus gnats. After a while, is that I have so many plants.
- Another reason why I like it is that you can grow multiple herbs at the same time. You don’t have to grow just one. You don’t have to grow just six and you can grow all different kinds at all different stages.
- Another thing that I enjoyed about it, how easy it was to have access to herbs. When you’re cooking, especially in your kitchen, you don’t want to go out to the store. You don’t want to be messing with dirt outside or anything is right on your kitchen counter.
- When these herbs need fertilizer and it was time to give them some nutrients, the arrow garden lets you know, when it was time to give nutrients, the button would blink at the same thing that happened with the water when the water level got too low for this because remember there’s a bunch of roots inside of this that is soaking up all that water. It would let you know when it’s time to fill up the water.
I got to say, this is like my personal assistant and lets me know when it needs water and lets me know when it needs nutrients. It has everything there. And it is just, I gotta say Jackie approved man.
Cons aerogarden black harvest indoor hydroponic garden
Now when it comes to the cons of this Aero garden, there weren’t that many. And I think there only was some is because I was being super picky. After all, I am a gardener. Of course. So let’s go over them:
- One of the cons is that the light only goes a foot up. So if you want it to grow something a lot larger, you couldn’t because you are restricted by the, you know, the height of the Aero garden, a counter to that is, you know what? You just have to pick the right herbs or pick the right plants to fit within that small space. So it’s not that much of a con, but of course, if you want to plant big, then maybe this is not for you.
- One of the cons is that you have to research what kind of herbs or plant that you’re going to be growing inside of this.
- Another negative would be the different rate of the plants growing within the light that can be corrected. However, if you do your due diligence and you research the plants that you’re trying to grow in here, not every seed germinates at the same rate, as you can see here, deal grew amazingly, but also the time back here and the parsley did not grow that fast at the last con or negative that I found with this arrow garden is not a big one, but it kind of puts a damper on it. Every time you want to plant a new one, you have to get a new pod. And to get a new pod is you got to buy it.
That’s how they make their money reoccurring purchases by buying new seeds. But also if you think about it, try getting that plant and its roots out of that seed container. It may be on the tricky side. It may be on the messy side and maybe you don’t want to go through all that hassle and work. So you may have to just buy a lot of these replacement seed pods. It wasn’t that expensive, but it wasn’t exactly cheap either.
Is it worth it though?
I think so. They even offer different varieties. I have here mini tomatoes that I’m going to try next. And also this is the plain one that you can put whatever seed you want inside of it. So it’s a con Nate, it’s a negative, but silver linings to a lot of these things I got to say, this is Jackie approved. And I got to say also that it was ADHD approved.
Now keep in mind again.
I’m always talking about mindfulness. Now you can’t just set it and forget it completely and expect this to be working out perfectly. It may not require a lot of mindfulness. It may not require a lot of paying attention, but you still have to pay attention and you still have to be mindful. I think this is something that helps get you into the track or habit of paying attention to your plant. Let’s say your beginner plant person, and you don’t know when is a good time to water or when is it a good time that you need fertilizer? This will give you a good heads up or good help. And to figure out when those times look like. So, I mean, you can use this as a reference point.
If you want to get more information about Aerogarden you can read my article too, How to Grow with AeroGarden – Tutorial Compilation.