Being a gardener is an interesting experience. You interact with nature, can create new sorts of vegetables, and enjoy time with yourself. Gardening is a great hobby that you can even monetize successfully. This could become a nice alternative to your other undertakings if you want to brighten up your daily routine.
But what if you don’t have enough space outside your home to plant fruits and vegetables? What if there are not enough resources to manage a real garden? There may be different reasons why you can’t handle the garden as it is. But what’s the way out? You can try hydroponic gardening instead.
This is a new way of growing plants both inside and outside the house.
Even a beginner can manage this easy routine. You can adjust the cost of the services, use simple systems and enjoy time with the plants. This is a great way to start gardening, and we are going to tell you more about hydroponics in our guide.
Before you start growing hydroponic vegetables, you’ll need to pick the right system to start with. Here are our suggestions: Our Picks for the 5 Hydroponic Bucket Systems and Our Picks for the 5 Grow Tent Kits with Buyer’s Guides.
What Are Hydroponic Vegetables
If you only start with hydroponics, you may wonder what these kinds of vegetables are. Well, there are so many questions about the safety of these plants. Let’s break some myths and tell you some real facts about hydroponics:
- First of all, hydroponics is safe to eat. Professional gardeners resort to growing plants inside because it has so few risks for their consumers. It is also beneficial for the plants to be grown inside when the weather conditions are bad outside.
- What you should know about hydroponics is that they grow without soil. They simply don’t need soil to grow because liquid medium works great for them, too. By using water with some additional elements, you can cultivate vegetables and ensure better taste and harvest even with restricted indoor conditions.
- Do vegetables grown hydroponically differ in taste and appearance? Well, the answer may differ depending on the type of plant you request. In general, researchers claim that artificially grown plants have the same look as the plants that you grow conventionally. You can check several criteria to compare the final plant versions. And you will see that the examples are equally useful and healthy.
- Another advantage of a hydroponically grown plant is the reduced threat of extra diseases. When you grow vegetables hydroponically, you can’t protect the plants fully. There are still risks of insects and other harmful gases. But growing plants hydroponically will give you an edge as a beginner gardener. Most of the infectious diseases come from the soil. Since hydroponics doesn’t need soil to survive, you can reduce the number of harmful cases for your plants.
Do you still have any concerns about growing hydroponics?
There are so many gardeners successful with their plants. If you want to grow the vegetables successfully, you don’t need years of experience. You should trust in yourself, fund the best systems, optimize the growing space and ensure at least some minimal conditions. It will help you start your journey with the plants. No need to go for great amounts of seeds or huge territories. If you want to try gardening, starting with hydroponic vegetables is a nice choice.
What Vegetables Can Grow Hydroponically?
If you decide to dedicate some time to hydroponics, you may wonder what types of vegetables are the best for this kind of gardening practice. Let’s look at the list of the most common options gardeners choose for their indoor spaces:
- Consider growing greens. There are so many variations of greens that will perfectly fit your garden. You can choose lettuce, spinach, or chives. They can easily adjust to indoor conditions and thrive without the soil. Think about basil, too. It is a nice choice for your dishes.
- Want to make a spring salad? You can grow it on your own as hydroponics. Cucumbers work great when you plant them hydroponically. Bell peppers, tomatoes, and celery will also respond to you greatly.
- Want to work with the beans? You have the chance to plant different types of beans.
There are so many options you can choose from. If you have a plant you want to grow, check it first. Not all the vegetables will feel okay about the artificial light and soil medium. But for most plants, hydroponics isn’t an obstacle. It is a nice way to thrive to bigger sizes and better taste qualities.
Which Vegetables Grow Fast in Hydroponics?
Want to grow your vegetables fast? Sometimes you can’t speed up the time to grow your plants faster. But there are some tricks that you may use as a beginner gardener. You may find some types of vegetables that will show impressive progress when grown hydroponically. On average, it will take you about 90 days minimum to grow the vegetable. But if you want to start fast and show the real results right now, you may opt for the fast-growing vegetables.
What are they? What veggies should you choose? First off, you should take a look at the spinach. This is a famous green that is present in so many interesting recipes. It will take less than a month to see the real harvest. And the conditions shouldn’t be harsh, too. It is a flexible green that will stand indoor growing practice. Another plant is mint. You can add it to your tea recipes, desserts, and meat dishes. It will add so many different flavors to your food. And it grows quite fast. But you should be careful with mint. If you ignore its growth, it will cover the whole space, and you will find it hard to get rid of the harvest.
How to Grow Hydroponic Vegetables Indoors
This is a real question for the gardeners. We have already covered some details about the vegetables. You also know some advantages to plant the veggies inside without huge outdoor capabilities. But what about the process of growing the veggies? Do you know much about it? Let’s see what aspects should be managed when growing the plants hydroponically.
How Do You Grow Hydroponic Vegetables at Home?
When you decide to grow your plants hydroponically at home, you may want to save some money. And it is an obvious choice. Having professional equipment, you won’t bother yourself with the tips to grow plants at home. So, let’s see what the necessary details that you should buy to start growing hydroponically are.
- First off, you should choose the place for your gardening practice. It can be some corner in your house. Or you may choose the whole room if you prefer to follow as a gardener. When you’re done with the place, you should choose your vegetables. What plants are you going to cultivate? The choice is important, and you should be careful when choosing veggies.
- When you’re done with the choice of plants, it’s time to build a well-structured system. Find the grow light, choose water sources, opt for the necessary growing tray.
- Having all the materials on hand, you should build the system and start growing the plants. To make it a rewarding experience, find the necessary instructions and follow them.
You can start with a small budget. The cost of the services won’t be huge if you know what to do. The more you learn about at-home gardening, the better you are at the harvest.
What Nutrients for Hydroponic Vegetables Are the Most Suitable?
Want to grow healthy plants? Then you should use high-quality nutrients that will address the problems and help you grow the best garden. When you go for hydroponics, you need to maximize your efforts to reach the results. In this case, you will have to use nutrients to improve the harvest.
What nutrients should you choose for your plants? Well, there’s a huge difference in nutrients. You can’t choose only one for your garden. In many cases, you have to mix the components to get the best results. When you decide on the veggies, you can start looking for the nutrients for your plants.
How Much Light Is Needed for Hydroponic Vegetables
This is another question that bothers most gardeners who only start with hydroponics. How many hours of light do you need to make your plants feel great and grow nicely? The final time will depend on many factors.
- The choice of the plant is the paramount element that defines the amount of light. Sometimes, you will need about 10 hours for some greens. But in some cases, 16 hours won’t be enough for the veggies. So, the number of hours should be calculated based on the type of plant first.
- Another factor is the type of light. There are different sources of light that you may use. Some of the bulbs are extremely powerful, so you need less of them. But others may have a smaller potential making you turn the light on for longer.
In general, you need about 14 hours of light. You should always leave some time for darkness. If you leave the light on for a longer period than needed, your plants can get exhausted.
BONUS: What PPM Is Necessary for Vegetables in a Hydroponic System?
Fortunately, you can calculate the average number of PPM that your plants need for successful growing. Experts say that 5 ppm would be enough to ensure nice results. In many cases, gardeners try to reach the level of 8. This is better for the plants. But you can hardly achieve this level at ease without any additional components. If you want to make it simple, you should go for at least 5 ppm.
Bonus: Best Hydroponic System for Vegetables
There are several most common systems that gardeners use in hydroponics. You may know some minor details about the growing systems for vegetables. Let’s see what specific methods for growing vegetables you may find:
- Deep Water Culture, or DWC, is the first method. What does it mean to grow plants with the help of DWC? When you resort to this system, you will have to insert the roots of the plants in the water reservoir.
- Another method is called wicking. It is a more complicated method because it makes use of an additional thing, such as a rope. Some kind of rope will transfer water from the reservoir to the roots.
- Aeroponic can also be helpful for your plants. This is the type of hydroponic system in which the roots are placed above the water. The water full of necessary nutrients must be sprayed on top of the roots.
There are many other systems. You can choose them according to your purposes. You may choose from different types of systems. Some of them are quite easy to manage. But others need more expertise and devotion both in time and money. More types of systems are in our article here.
How Long Does It Take to Grow Vegetables Hydroponically?
How fast does hydroponics grow? The fastest plant that grows hydroponically is any type of green. When you plant greens, you may see the final harvest in about a month. While some plants grow longer when in soil, they can reduce the time when put into water reservoirs. The growth rate can be increased if you stimulate your plants with the necessary nutrients, add useful components to the water and enrich your liquid medium with the important elements. This way, you can get better growth rates even with the fastest-growing plants.
It’s time to answer your questions. Do you have lots of them? We’ve tried to cover the most crucial info related to hydroponics. But we assume you have additional questions to be answered. Let’s figure out these issues and give answers to them.
Are Hydroponic Vegetables Healthy?
Yes, they are healthy. When you decide to grow veggies as hydroponics, you should have no concerns about the use of vegetables. You don’t use any harmful components to put your health at risk. When you grow vegetables indoors, you get rid of soil and make use of artificial light. But it doesn't mean that eating hydroponics is unhealthy or dangerous for you.
Can Onions Be Grown Hydroponically?
Yes, you can grow onions hydroponically. Some kinds of veggies can’t be grown inside without natural light or soil. But this is not the case for the onions. Moreover, they will be a great start for your hydroponics practice. They don’t need much from the growing medium. Some water and enough sunlight would be enough to harvest the onions.
Can Root Vegetables Be Grown Hydroponically?
Yes, you can grow root vegetables using hydroponic methods. There are different systems for growing plants inside with the help of artificial light and warmth. In general, root vegetables will work nicely when grown as hydroponics. Carrots, potatoes, radishes, and beets will show nice results if you choose a proper hydroponics system.
How Often Do You Change Water In Hydroponics?
You should check the amount of water in the containers daily. If you see that the plant needs more water resources, you should add more. Sometimes, the amount of light or other factors influence the consumption of water. In such cases, you should take care more of the water balance in the pots. But the general rule is to change the water every 2 weeks or so.
Why Is Hydroponics Better Than Soil?
Hydroponics is better than soil if we take the safety issues. When you plant veggies into the soil, you have the risk of getting the disease. Your plants are vulnerable to different insects that live in the soil. Moreover, there are different infectious types of plants that hide inside the soil. So, choosing hydroponics is always a better safety option.
Do Hydroponic Tomatoes Taste Good?
There was an experiment when experts tried different veggies. Some of them were grown organically. Others were grown with the help of conventional methods. And the last group of veggies came from the hydroponic gardens. The taste of all the veggies was almost identical, which proves the quality of the plants grown as hydroponics.
Can Cucumbers Be Grown Hydroponically?
Why do you need to grow cucumbers as hydroponics? They can be easily grown inside without much sunlight and other weather conditions that are typical for the natural environment. If you decide to try growing cucumbers, you should find some space to ensure great conditions for the final harvest. There’s nothing complicated about coping with the cucumbers in a hydroponics environment.
Can You Grow Hydroponic Peppers?
Peppers can be grown hydroponically, too. When you are looking for veggies to plant into the water medium, you should also try peppers. When you work with these veggies, you don’t need much effort. The final fruit will reach the size of the original veggie. And the taste will also be rich.
Is PVC Safe for Hydroponics?
This is a controversial issue for discussion. When you use PVC, you should choose those options that are applicable for food. If they’re safe for food, you can use them with hydroponics. Some experts say that SVC will emit harmful substances. But if you use the technique carefully, the plastics won’t leave bad toxins. And you can always find greater alternatives if you doubt PVC use.
Is Number 5 Plastic Safe for Growing Vegetables?
Yes, you can use this type of plastic for gardening purposes. This type of plastic is commonly known to be used in the food industry. So, it won’t harm your veggies. Using 5 plastic containers is a nice choice for hydroponics.
Growing hydroponics is a nice experience for starters. But you can also try it if you’re an experienced farmer or gardener. There are so many interesting details about the plants that are grown artificially. They are safe to eat but still have some peculiarities. Do you want to try a new beneficial hobby? We’ve covered some basic info about hydroponics. We hope it was helpful for you, and now you have fewer questions about the process of planting veggies inside. Let us know everything about your hydroponics experience in the comments.